The WTO Youth Ambassador Programme calls on individuals aged 18-25 years send in entries for the 2013 WTO Youth Ambassador Video/Essay Contest aimed at raising awareness of international economic governance issues among young people.
The essay further seeks to encourage young people’s engagement in public policy discussions, and bring new perspectives to the debates. To participate, contestants must provide their response to a trade-related question. Submissions can be made in the form either of a video or an essay.
Participants are required to make a short video (no more than three minutes) or write a brief essay (up to 1,000 words) that addresses the following question: The role of the multilateral trading system in global governance. In their submissions participants should highlight the importance of the issue, describe the main challenges and propose policy recommendations.
Worth of Awards
- The winner of the best video and essay submission will be invited to the WTO in Geneva, Switzerland to present their ideas at the 2013 WTO Public Forum. The WTO will fund and organize the trip. If the winner lives in the Geneva region, a comparable prize will be awarded.
- There are no cash alternatives to this prize.
- The winning essay will be published in the WTO Public Forum Publication and the winning video will be posted on the WTO’s YouTube channel and featured on the WTO’s social media platforms.
- Contestants can participate either individually or as a team. Prizes for team entries will be awarded to the person who submits the work. The WTO assumes no responsibility for prize distribution among team members.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age, and no older than 25 years of age, on the date of submission of their essay or video. Proof of age will be required from all finalists.
- All submissions (video and essay) shall be accompanied by a one-page (300 words maximum) text in which the participants outline the activities that they intend to undertake as WTO Youth Ambassadors to promote the principles and values of the multilateral trading system within their communities, should they win the contest. This is an opportunity for participants to demonstrate how the role of the WTO Youth Ambassador can be used to make a positive impact.
- Current or former staff members of the World Trade Organization and their immediate family members are not eligible for consideration in the contest.
How to Apply
- All essay submissions should be sent either as a Word document or as a PDF firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Youth Ambassador Contest in the subject line.
- To submit a video, the contestant must be a registered user of YouTube or another online video sharing site. To sign up for an account on YouTube, please visit here
- The submission must be in English, French or Spanish, or must be subtitled in one of those languages. For simple instructions on how to create closed captioned subtitles for YouTube videos, please click here http://www.youtube.com/t/captions_about
- Upload your video message to http://www.youtube.com or another online video sharing site using your personal account, with the tag: WTOvideo2013.
- There is no fee for entering this contest.
- The WTO will ask finalists and winners to provide a copy of their original video file prior to distributing prizes. Accordingly, participants should keep a copy of their videos in the original format.
- By submitting their work to the contest, participants grant the WTO the right to copy, edit, modify, publish, distribute and/or display the content of the work and elements embodied within it.
- Contestants are solely responsible for submitting qualifying entries. The WTO is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected and/or damaged submissions or for technical errors, malfunctions, and/or delays that may prevent participants from uploading submissions for the contest.
- All submissions shall be original and unpublished work. Participants may not submit any work previously used in any other competition or that has been previously published.
Deadline: The deadline for all submissions is midnight (Geneva time) on 30 June 2013
- The finalists for each category will be selected in mid-July 2013. Finalists will be notified by e-mail and their names will be published on the website of the WTO Public Forum. Finalists in each category will be contacted by email at the address provided at the time of submission.
For more information, check here