In 2010 the UN Environment Programme’s (UNEP) World Environment Day campaign sponsored an amazing trip for a green blogger, Tuesday Phillips, to go to Rwanda. In 2011 it was Ximena Prugue who won the prize to go to India. For 2012, Scott Bartlett got to blog about World Environment Day from Brazil. This year, we are looking for the next green blogger to take the campaign to the next level.
UNEP, in partnership with TreeHugger, invites you to enter the 2013 World Environment Day blogging competition by writing an inspiring blog on this year’s theme: Think.Eat.Save.
The task is to call for heightened awareness and immediate action to reduce food waste and loss across the food supply chain. There is so much to blog about! Just consider some of these facts:
- The total quantity of wasted food around the globe, 300 million tonnes, is more than the total net food production of Sub-Saharan Africa–enough to feed the estimated 900 million people hungry in the world.
- Worldwide, one in every seven people go to bed hungry and more than 20,000 people die of hunger every day.
- Australians throw out more than 4 million tonnes of food every year: close to a thousand kilograms per household
- Getting food from farm to fork in the US eats up 10% of the total energy budget, uses 50% of its land and swallows 80% of all fresh water consumed in the US. The equivalent of $165 billion each year.
- Uneaten food ends up rotting in landfills as the single largest component of US solid waste where it accounts for almost 25% of methane emissions.
Or you can blog about your own food consumption discovery – what and how much are you wasting? Will you commit to reduce your foodprint? How will you inspire others to do the same?
The top ten bloggers, to be selected by a UNEP-TreeHugger jury, will be invited to a second round of blogging.
The winner of this second online showdown (blogdown) will be determined by an online community via the World Environment Day website through a voting system.
The blogger who accumulates the most votes by 15 April 2013 wins the competition and will be invited to blog about World Environment Day in this year’s amazing new host country for the campaign. The host country will be announced soon, but don’t miss the opportunity and enter the competition today.
In the spirit of World Environment Day, you can bet that it will be bigger and better!
Flights and daily allowance for accommodation, food and travel within the host country to report on WED events will be covered, subject to applicable UN rules and regulations.
World Environment Day is on June 5th, 2013. The contest winner will be flown to the host country for about three days, beginning June 3rd and ending June 6th 2013. Short-listed and winning posts will be published on TreeHugger and the World Environment Day websites (www.unep.org).