The United Nations Office at Nairobi offers internships for undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled in an university program. Internship programs are for a minimum of three and a maximum of six months. Interns will be placed with various departments of UNEP, UN-HABITAT AND UNON in Nairobi only.
To view the Internship Online Induction, Please click here
Please read the ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA before completing the application form
The Staff Training and Development Unit (SDTU/HRMS) runs the internship programme which services offices at:
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- United Nations Offices at Nairobi (UNON)
- United Nations Dispute Tribunal, Office of Administration of Justice (OAJ)
Please note that you SHOULD NOT purchase your air ticket to come to Nairobi until you have received an acceptance letter and terms of reference from the Staff Development and Training Unit. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com if you need further clarification.
The objectives of the internship programme are:
- To provide current students with important practical experience which complements their field of study, which at the same time will be of benefit to the UN offices to which the intern is assigned.
- To promote among the students a better understanding of major global problems confronting the world and to give them an insight into how the UN attempts to find solutions to these problems.
- To expose the students to the UN and its policies and programmes and have them become ambassadors of good will.
- To enable students from all parts of the world to exchange information during and after the internship so as to appreciate cultural diversity amongst different peoples and have them become ambassadors of peace and good will.
Due to the large number of applicants and the limited number of places available per year,applicants are strongly advised to note the following minimum eligibility criteria for an Internship at UN-HABITAT, UNEP, and UNON administered by the SDTU. If all of the requirements are not met, your application will not be processed.
The Applicant MUST:
- Be currently enrolled in a third or fourth year of under-graduate (BA/BSc.) or in a graduate (Masters) or post-graduate (Ph D) programme, and will continue to be enrolled during the period of the internship and after.(NB: applicants pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and graduate stages should have completed at least three years of university studies)
- Be willing to intern on a full-time basis spending five days a week for a period of not less than THREE MONTHS and not exceeding SIX MONTHS.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your University; stating that you are currently enrolled and your expected date of graduation:
- Dean of Students or dean of faculty
- Placement officer
Please ensure that an official letterhead or an official seal is used for the endorsement letter. This endorsement should be attached to the application. For online applicants, ensure that the endorsement is sent to us by e-mail, fax or post. Candidates are advised that their application forms will not be processed without proper and adequate endorsement.
Please note successful registration does not guarantee placement. Those who are selected will be personnally contacted by phone or e-mail
Original Post: http://www.unon.org/content/internship-programme