PhD scholarship in Soil Microbiology “Development and validation of standardized analysis of soil biodiversity”.
Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen.
ESR2, 3 years starting July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2015
Soil is by far the most species-rich of the Earth´s many microbial habitats with hundreds of thousands of different microbial species in a few grams. Soil will continue to be vital component contributing to Ecosystem Services. In this project we will use Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) to explore the bacterial biodiversity and its links with ecosystem services. The project aims to develop a high throughput analyses toolbox for soil biodiversity and activity -based on cutting-edge molecular technologies that will enable cost-efficient in-depth analyses of the diversity and activity of soil microorganisms and soil microfauna that will be used to help to evaluate ecosystem services that these soils provide.
The successful candidate will use a combination of high throughput technologies to describe soil microbial communities based on DNA and RNA. The work involves second generation DNA-sequencing (pyrosequencing and Illumina-based) technology. In addition, the successful candidate will implement protocols for quantitative analysis of specific bioindicators using Q-PCR.
The position is funded for 3 years through a recently established “Trainbiodiverse” FP7 Marie Curie Initial Training Network. The project will be carried out at Section of Microbiology, Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen. For more information please visit: http://www1.bio.ku.dk/english/research/em
We are looking for an expert bioinformatician with experience in NGS data analysis and analysis of microbial metagenomic data.
● M.Sc. in, microbiology, molecular biology or similar relevant discipline
● Experience with high throughput sequencing including pyrosequencing or Ilumina sequencing will be advantageous
● Experience of standardised sampling methods and nucleic acid isolation
● Documented experience with molecular tools including Q-PCR
● Fluency in English
● Able to engage in teamwork within the group and our collaborators
The application must contain:
● Motivated letter of application
● Curriculum vitae
● List of publications
● Transcript of university examinations (in English)
● Contact details of 2 persons for references